Thursday, October 29, 2009

As The Baby Cries...

We have always taken pacifiers away from our children before 6 months of age. This way there is no remembrance of it and the transition is fairly simple. Chaille is now on the fifth day without her pacifier. She's currently "crying it out" for nap time. It breaks my heart, but with each day the crying gets less and less and before long, she won't fight naps at all.

Mothering isn't easy. If we did what was easy, our kids would be 16 years old, sucking on pacifiers, wearing diapers, and sleeping in a crib. Transitional times are HARD, yet we go through so many with our children. And the crazy thing is.... it goes really fast. At the time we are going through the trial (be it giving up the pacifier, potty training, transitioning to sippy cups, or big boy/girl beds) the time seems so long and hard. But when we look back, it was really a quick season of change. I know I say it all the time, but my friend Sandy Maple told me a quote that "the days are long but the time is short." I live by this motto daily. As I listen to my baby cry, I tell myself this same thing over and over.

Steve will be home this evening. The house looks like a tornado struck while he was gone. The laundry has been washed but apparently is not going to fold itself. I'm going to try to seize this naptime to at least make the place "presentable" if that is possible in just a short hour or two. I'll pay the price today for "taking it easy" while dad was gone. The crazy thing is... It really wasn't that easy! But we've maintained a happy disposition while he's been gone. There haven't been any big meltdowns so far! We CAN survive without him here, we just don't want to :o) We love and miss our daddy.

We have a fun weekend ahead. Leigh Anne will be down tomorrow afternoon to stay with us. Silas had his class party this afternoon and Avery has his in the morning. Tomorrow evening we will be attending the Harvest Hoe-down at church. And Saturday we are gonna trick or treat our family! The kids are excited to say the least!!! And I'm excited to see Leigh Anne! I'll update with pictures of the kiddos in costumes soon!

Thanks for reading, and keeping up with today's episode of "As the Baby Cries..." ha ha...

No comments:

Post a Comment