Thursday, May 3, 2012

He doesn't even know...

There is this man, who lives somewhere in our neighborhood, who has changed my life. And the crazy thing is... He doesn't even know.

We have never exchanged words, and I am unsure if he even can speak. All I can say for sure is that his presence alone has made my life different the last two days.

Yesterday, I saw this man walk by our house, a cane in his left hand. His right arm was limp at his side and he barely bent his right leg as he walked, slowly, cautiously, somberly past our home. What seemed like a long time later, he finally labored back past.

I sat on the porch, able bodied, watching my healthy (well, mostly healthy) and whole family run around laughing and completely unaware of the man. Completely oblivious to the thoughts that filled my head and my heart.

I could tell he had suffered a stroke or something similar. And he was pushing along, trying to get back strength and stamina that he will never fully recover. I couldn't help and wonder how frustrated he was with his body. I thought about the days before he lost what was likely his dominant side. I wondered if he appreciated what he had before he lost it...

I sat, praying for his recovery, and asking God to remind me to be thankful. For every moment. For a body that works. For healthy children. For gentle reminders of life's precious blessings.

And, He reminded me today. The man walked by again. And once again, I stopped to pray. I can't stop praying for him. That someday I will see him stroll by without his cane. While he reminds me to be thankful for what I have, I want him to have that again too. I know he will fully appreciate it!

I want to feel as blessed all the time as I do in those moments of realization. That moment when I see someone who only dreams of having the chance to walk normally again.

Maybe someday I can tell this neighbor how he has inspired me. Maybe someday he will be inspired to know that his illness impacted someone's life! I can only pray...

No comments:

Post a Comment