Tuesday, January 27, 2009

You heard me! Or did you?!?

I've always thought Nolan has such great hearing because, no matter where he is in the house and no matter how quietly I try to open it, when I open the dishwasher door he comes flying into the room! He LOVES to play in the dishwasher and in the refrigerator! But yesterday, the ENT Doctor informed me that he doesn't hear as well as I thought. Actually I saw it for myself. He sat on my lap for his hearing test and there were several sounds that he did not respond to at all. He did great with voices and sounds that had a lot of bass. But the quieter sounds with no vibration to them were not heard at all. No matter how loud they were. It actually amazes me that he speaks so well since this is the case!

So... next Monday Nolan will have tubes put in his ears. It's a very minor procedure (no pun intended but his doctor's name is Dr. Miner!) And we know from Avery having the same procedure when he was a baby that it is well worth it. Although surgery is never something you look forward to, I do look forward to Nolan being relieved of the pressure behind his ears. And I hope that we will see improvement in his hearing. I wonder if they will retest his hearing after the surgery? It would be interesting to see if he hears those soft noises.

Avery is having a fun week at school. This week he is student of the week. Yesterday he took in a poster we made all about him. Today, he took the "sharing backpack" to school with 3 of his favorite things to share (an America block because he loves America, his Leapster 2, and some dogs from "Hotel for Dogs" that he saw on Sunday.) Tomorrow he will take a favorite book to school to read during snack time. It also happens to be the 100th day of school tomorrow, so that in itself will be a celebration! And on Thursday he gets to have "treasure time" a day early! So much fun to be celebrated!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment