Wednesday, February 11, 2009

If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.

Most of the time change in life is so gradual that you don't even seem to notice it. When we see our children daily, we don't always notice the changes that are taking place in them. Well, lately I HAVE noticed these changes taking place in the lives of my boys! I'd love to share with you the changes that have been occuring, thus documenting it for myself as well.

We'll start with Avery. He's maturing so much. He's starting to read and for him this has been such an abrupt thing. It's like something has just clicked and now he can sound out words he doesn't know. But I must say that he has quite a lot of sight words too. He must have a photographic memory. And, I've noticed too, that lately his behavior is much more mature on a consistent basis. He still has his toddler-like, weepy, tired, whiney moments. But those are very few and far between lately. Most of the time I'm very impressed with his behavior and how grown-up he acts! And his vocabulary, it just blows us away! The other day I caught him moving the antenna on the television so that he "could get better reception" he told me! I love it!

Silas is really changing lately too! He's showing us just how much he really does know. I think that he's never been as vocal as Avery, so we just didn't realize that he knows more than he lets on! He recognizes all of his uppercase letters and can tell you their sounds. And this all came out of no-where! Out of the blue one day he asked what "F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L" spells. That same day, we were at the store and he told me he knew how to spell pizza. I asked him "how?" He said "D-I-G-I-O-R-N-O-S!" That had me rolling in the aisle in laughter. Yes, we had a DiGiorno's pizza in the cart. Little stinker just blows me away! And the conversations he has with Avery lately are hilarious. They actually argue about things that make sense. They both make valid points and Silas no longer assumes that Avery just knows the right answer all the time. He's realized that he has a mind of his own, and a sharp one at that! Oh, and he now wants to be a police officer when he grows up. I just keep telling him that he can be what he sets his mind to be! Love this little monkey!

And Nolan has changed a lot too. I know I've posted a lot about him lately, but even in the past week he's changed so much! His new fun phrase is "Oh WOW!" He says it all the time about every little, but exciting thing. Even breakfast this morning was an "oh wow" moment. So cute! And, this is very exciting for mom, Nolan has been sleeping through the night since he had his tubes put in! Most nights this has been from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. and then back to sleep until 8 a.m. And just last night it was from 8 p.m. until 7:30 a.m. I'm praying that this is a trend that continues! He is starting to be more brave about taking steps but just a few, and just in between two fixed points. He'll get to walking when he's good and ready! Nolan is such a happy boy, and lately his smiles are just so big and full of joy. That makes my day and truly melts my heart!

So, as you can tell, the boys continue to grow and change. We love it and are trying to embrace it all. I don't want to miss a thing, as I realize just how precious these days are!

Our lives are about to change in yet another way as well. Steve has accepted a promotion at the fire department. He will be "Training Luitenant" under the Training Chief. His position with have him working new hours that he will be able to set himself. He will be scheduling, planning, and administrating training for the department. And doing a lot of paperwork too. :) He will no longer be a shift worker, and will mostly work week days. This will be the first time in our almost 9 years of marriage that he will be home nights and weekends! I'm excited and ready to embrace this change. He'll transition into this position and it will become his full-time assignment mid-April. 2009 is turning out to be quite a year of change for this family!

No comments:

Post a Comment