No new pictures today, sorry! I'm at Grandma and Grandpa Frye's today. Steve and the big boys are out cutting and splitting wood (and playing in the creek.) Nolan and Chaille are having naps. Nolan is actually sleeping on Grandpa's lap, and Grandpa actually dozed off with him. It's the sweetest thing EVER (pictures to come later!) The boys are taking in the most beautiful fall day we've had. Sunny and mid 70's!!! I plan to get the little ones out too in a bit.
Lately I've been very reflective. I think some of it stems back to how the babysitting thing got me all "stirred" up emotionally. But I've also been going back into a phase where I'm trying to draw closer to God. I'm trying to refocus my priorities, and this happens often in my life. I'm wanting to be sure that I'm giving my children what they need as a firm spiritual background AND also wanting to live my life with no regrets. If I don't lay the foundation, I may regret not having done so... Who knew that the most difficult part of parenting would be leading them to Christ? Not I!
I've been looking at where I've put my time and my energy. It's very easy to do so on a day like today, where I am away from home and not staring my "work" in the face! I often "allow" myself to be distracted, even when the distractions are clearly not wholesome (phone calls that are unimportant, being online just "browsing," etc...) I'm trying to use more down-time to read the Bible, studying scripture and completing my Bible Study. I've even been reading aloud to Chaille while she is nursing. It's silly, but then again, I think it is great for the children to see Mommy in The Word! I've been trying to foster more positive friendships and not to fuel the ones that tend to get "gossip-y." (I think I just made up that word.) But gossip is a sin, and, while it is sometimes beneficial to be "in the know," I'd rather be "in with God!" I'm struggling to become a bit less social, as I like to be connected all the time. But I find that being more focused on God, I have found much more happiness and contentment even in the quiet!
So I guess by even sharing this, I'm allowing my friends and family to hold me accountable. Feel free to ask me how I'm doing. I won't lie. I know that this is going to be hard for me... and I'll probably catch myself trying to fall back into old habits. They die hard, you know? But I'm refocusing.... Getting back on track...
So, in other news... Avery was chosen this week to be the Kindergarten representative on a float in the Christmas Parade in Shelbyville. They are choosing one student from each grade to ride in a float. Avery was chosen because of his good behavior and his love for reading. He is excited beyond belief and so very honored to be chosen! Looks like we'll be braving the cold to go see him the evening of November 27th!
Not much else "new" is happening. I've been spending time contemplating my future after the kids are all in school. I've talked about Law School, and Steve is really supporting that idea... Wonder why? ha ha... I worry about the debt it will add, but he thinks longer term thinking early retirement. He figures he's supported me for the past 10 years, he'll support me through school and then he's DONE! We'll see. I'm thinking that I'm gonna start studying now for the LSAT's, and when Chaille turns 3 or 4, maybe I'll be ready to take them! I figure that those 3 years will fly by and I'll be faced with a big decision much sooner than I think it will be. Stay tuned (long term) for the results of this decision...
Thank you Jen! I hope we can help each other as we journey to be good mothers and women of God! Your thoughts were very thought provoking and inspirational!
ReplyDelete