Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Excerpt

Wow, these incidents seem to be more frequent recently... Maybe it is because I have been watching for them so that I can record them. (And I record them mostly because I'm not sure if I will remember much of what happens if I don't write it somewhere!)

So tonight was a night that Steve had to work late for a special event. We managed quite well for most of the evening, aided by the fact that Chaille slept from 2:30 until 7! Well after she woke up and finished nursing, I took her and Nolan out to the front porch. The big boys headed on their bikes over to the school parking lot. I realized at that time that Nolan was stinky, but decided to wait, as I was enjoying the time.

Then I heard it... Silas was crying and Avery came flying home on his bike. Silas rode slowly behind. Avery informed me that Si had ridden through a puddle and wrecked his bike. I could see he was covered in muddy water and that his knee was bleeding. He was sort of "stuck" on the sidewalk across the street from the house because the cars just kept coming! Finally he catches enough of a break to cross home and we head inside to clean up.

I need to add here that the neighbor next door to the west was sitting on his front porch, probably trying to have a quiet evening! :o) Ha ha... Not any more...

Anyway, Silas was crying and limping and really making a scene. Chaille was upset because I was not doing the best job of consoling Silas and holding her comfortably at the same time! So, she started crying too. Then, I tell Nolan he needs to come in so that I can clean Silas up. He's clearly too young to be left alone outside! So HE starts crying. Four children, three are crying!!!

Avery headed back over to ride his bike, I sat Chaille in the crook of the couch, propped up. I had Silas head to the bathroom (although he just stood in the doorway to my bedroom), and headed out to get Nolan who was throwing a fit on the stairs. I turn and smile over at the neighbor as I pry his stinky bottom off of the stairs and bring him inside to the crying room, I mean living room.

I went ahead and let Nolan and Shay cry for a minute while I gave Si some TLC (a washcloth and a bandaid!) At that point I was trying to decide which cry to try to attend to next. I couldn't find a pacifier anywhere nearby, but Avery walked back in and I sent him in search for one. I start to work on the stinch, hoping that changing Nolan will make it better in some way. If nothing else, it would eliminate one overwhelming stimulus! And suddenly Silas starts crying that the bandaid isn't covering ALL of his boo-boo. Wah. I wasn't the least bit sympathetic at this point.

I know I'm getting the Worst Mother of the Year award for this line of thinking, but I had checked it out, and it really wasn't too bad. And I was dealing with additional stimulus because as I go fetch a diaper I find that the neighbor boy, "hello Matthew!", was at the back door. I smile at him and kinda laugh, because I honestly thought it couldn't get any better!!! So I tell Avery, go play with Matthew, I will take care of the pacifier. I find a pacifier and then quickly find that the pacifier isn't going to calm the baby. She was ready for bed.

I could drag this story out, but I'll spare the rest by letting you have a brief ending:
  • Nolan got his diaper changed
  • Chaille got her pajamas on and into bed
  • The boys started "The Parent Trap"
  • Daddy got home shortly after the crying ceased

Isn't that the way? I'm convinced that, if it weren't for the fact that he heard it on the phone, he would never believe that these moments TRULY exist!

And I'll finish by saying that my angels are now softly, sweetly sleeping and I still love them more than yesterday and less than tomorrow! And we can all laugh together about these crazy, wonderful times!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the invite to your blog. It is beautiful. What a great way to keep track of all the beautiful things that happen each day. I look forward to reading each post. Have a great rest of the week. Take care! Jenn

    ReplyDelete