I have to share this story before I forget it!! It is too sweet to forget:
One day last week, Silas and I were out in the back yard, just the two of us. I was pushing him on the swing, even though he can swing on his own. We were enjoying some rare one-on-one bonding time! We were talking about him breaking his wrist and I had told him something that started with the phrase, "Silas, when mommy was a little girl..."
He stopped me right away and said "you mean you grew up!?!"
"Well, yes, of course!"
So then he looked and me and very seriously asked, "So, you got to pick?"
"What do you mean I got to pick?"
"Who you married. You got to pick daddy?"
At this point, I'm so in love with the conversation already. The sweet innocent thoughts of a five year old! "Yes, buddy, I got to pick daddy."
His response melts my heart. With enthusiasm and excitement he exclaimed, "YOU DID SO GOOD Mommy!!! You picked the best one. Daddy is the best daddy!"
I had to agree with him with tears in my eyes. "He is the best Silas, your daddy is wonderful."
He kept swinging in silence for a few minutes and I could tell he was thinking. Finally, he broke the silence, "mom..."
"Yes"
Very seriously he said "Daddy did good too. You are the best mom."
"Thank you buddy. You are the best too!"
I choked back those sentimental tears. I didn't want to discourage this tough boy from telling me what is on his heart for fear of making me cry.... He's just that kind of a person. He would NEVER want to make you cry, even happy tears. He's sweet.
My children are the best!!!
I am seriously crying right now after reading this. Such a sweet, sweet story! You have the best children ever! YOU and DADDY did GOOD!!! :)
ReplyDelete